Sunbeam II Posted on 23rd June 2013 by Carl Vincent Sunbeam II Sunbeam II is a three masted topsail schooner originally owned by Rt. Hon. Walter Runciman M.P. Launched at Denny’s of Dumbarton in 1929, to the designs of Messrs G. L. Watson & Co, she is 659 tons, length 195 feet, max. draft 16’10” and sail area 12,700 sq. feet. Sunbeam II was modelled on Lord Brassey’s topsail schooner, Sunbeam (launched 1874) which had been acquired by the Runcimans in 1922. See RNYC History – the first hundred years. When war broke out in 1939 Sunbeam II was transferred to the British government for use as a submarine tender and in 1946 she was sold to Swedish owners as a sail training vessel. She was renamed Sunbeam, and in 1955 changed hands (and name) again to become Flying Clipper. In 1966 she was acquired by the Greek Navy as a sail training vessel and renamed Eugene Eugenides. In 2004 she underwent restoration at Salamis Navy Base, and in 2009 was transferred to the Maritime Musuem of Greece in Athens. She is no longer in use as a sailing vessel.