Important discoveries made about H Y Tyne

HYTyne

Dear Club Member
I write to update you to important discoveries recently made by The Friends of LV 50 regarding our House Yacht Tyne III. Since acquisition in 1952 we have not known where LV 50 was built. Records of her fabrication together with her working life were, we believed, destroyed in a Trinity House bombing fire in 1940.
In the past months the Friends have unearthed a reference paper in The Institute of Civil Engineering’s publication entitled “The Seven Stones Light Vessel” which clearly identifies construction details (including a sketch plan) of a timber built vessel copper-fastened throughout, sheathed with Muntz metal, which matches LV 50 exactly. Specifying her whale back, caloric engines (to drive her foghorn) and a more efficient flashing lantern driven by a revolving clockwork mechanism. The design of 1878 is credited to Bernard Weymouth secretary to Lloyds, and one the architects of the “plimsoll line”
An extract from “The Cornishman” of 25/09/1879 records this new Seven Stones light vessel arriving on station after being towed down the English Channel “fitted with all the latest improvements in fog-warning machinery, and exhibiting a revolving light, instead of the two fixed bright lights which the old ship showed”
The final piece in the puzzle was uncovered in the London Metropolitan Archive where the Friends discovered remaining Wardens Minutes from Trinity House Records dated Sep 1877 to May 1879. These confirm the requisition of a new timber lightship in November 1877 with the tender being accepted from Fletcher, Son and Fearnall (Ship builders, Repairers and Dry Dock Owners,) Limehouse, Union Dock, London in March 1878. Construction details confirm the specification of twin newly developed Brown Caloric engines to drive the foghorn. In April 1879 and subsequently this new vessel is specifically referred to as LV 50.
In summary we now have compelling evidence that LV50 was specifically designed for her initial station off the Isles of Scilly on the Seven Stones Reef by Bernard Weymouth and that she was built on the Thames in the Union Dock

Lester Sher

Comments are closed.